TOEEL常考的从属连词分三类：（1）关系代词( that, which ,what who. Whose) (2) 关系副词（where when why how) (3) 状语从句连接词 (where, when, if, though, because…) 有关从属连词的试题大部分集中在Structure (1-15题中) 掌握命题规律，这类题目并不复杂。从属连词常考题型及解题要点
(1)The spiral threads of a spider*s web have a sticky substance on them ------- insects.
(B) trap its
(C) which traps
(D) which it traps
[答案] C 定语从句关系代词which引导从句，且在从句中作主语。
(2)Angiosperms inhabit relatively diverse environments and may be found ------- higher plants can survive.
[答案] B 空格前后为两个完整的句子，这里应填入连接词联系主从两句。四个选择只有wherever是连词，引导地点状语从句。
(3)Duke Wellington was a composer. Conductor, and pianist ------ ranked as one of the greatest of all jazz figures.
[答案] D 关系代词who引导定语从句，并作从句的主语。
(4)-------. Some of the Earth*s interior heat escapes to the surface.
(A) A volcano erupts
(B) A volcano whether erupts
(C) A volcano erupts it
(D) If a volcano erupts
[答案] D 从属连词引导条件状语从句。
2. 关系代词 who与which混淆错用
解题要点：在written Expression (16-40题）中的四个选择答案中出现who 或者which，应确认它所指代的是人还是物。
(1)Fossil remains indicate that squidlike creatures called belemnites swam in the sea who covered the North American continent 70 million years ago.
[答案] C 关系代词who指代的是sea，因此应用指物的which或that。
(2)Vaccines for some rare diseases are given only to persons which risk exposure to the disease.
[答案] B 关系代词which指代前面的persons，应改为人称关系代词who。
(3)Anne Elizabeth McDowell is best remembered for a weekly journal, the Woman*s Advocate, who she launched in January 1855.
[答案] D 关系代词who指代杂志the woman*s Advocate,故应改为which。
(4) The attorney general of the United States advises the President on any questions of law who may arise in the conduct of administrative affairs.
[答案] B 关系代词who指代前文的questions of law，故应改为which或that。
解题要点 介词＋which作用相当于一个关系副词，在从句作状语。可表示时间（＝when) ,地点(= where) ，原因（＝why）等等。
(1) In reorganizing the curriculum of Mt. Holyoke College in the late 1800*s Elizabeth Mead laid the foundation ------- the modern college rests.
(A) is which
(B) on which
(C) which is on
(D) on it
[答案] B on which 指代on the foundation ，作用相当于一个表示地点的关系副词。
(2) A circuit may be defined as a closed path ------- electricity can How.
(A) through it
(B) through which
(C) that is through
(D) there goes through
[答案] B through which 指代through the circuit, 作用相当于一个关系副词，而介词through才能准确地表达句子的含义。
(3) The extent of the harmful effect of locoweeds on animals depends on the soil ------- the plants grow.
(B) which in
(C) in which
[答案] C in which = where
(4) Adhesives, such as glue, tape and gum, vary with the purpose ------- intended.
(A) they were for
(B) for they were
(C) which were they
(D) for which they were
[答案] D for which指代for the purpose。
4. What 引导的名词性从句
解题要点：what兼先行词和关系代词双重身份，即what = the thing (things) that…。因此考生应特别注意，what既已包含先行词在内，它的前面就不应该再出现先行中心名词。What 与that 的区分是TOEEL常考题目
(1) During the eighteenth century, Little Turtle was chief of the Miami tribe whose territory became ------- is now Indiana and Ohio.
[答案] D what = the area that。What所指代的是地点、位置。然而，此句却不可选择（B）where。因为关系副词where不能作从句的主语。只有what即是先行词又是关系代词。
(2) The chief foods eaten in any country depend largely on ------- best in its climate and soil.
(A) it grows
(B) what grows
(C) does it grow
(D) what does grow
[答案] B what grows = the thing that grows…另请注意：介词后面通常不能接that引导的从句，但可接what引导的名词性从句。
(3) A hinge joint is ------- permits the forward and backward movement of a door.
[答案] B what = the thing that…
(4) Essentially, a theory is an abstract. Symbolic representation of ------- reality.
(A) what it is conceived
(B) that is conceived
(C) what is conceived to be
(D) that is being conceived of
[答案] C what = the thing that (is conceived to be…) .答案（A）中的代词it是多余的，因为what本身即已包含了先行词（the thing ) 和关系代词(that) 。答案（B）中的关系代词that引导的从句不可以置于介词的后面。
(5) Most of the food what elephants eat is brought to their mouths by their trunks.
[答案] B what应改为that。此句已含有先行词food，不能再用关系代词what。
解题要点 主语从句是TOEEL常考而中国考生又较陌生英文文法结构。有关主语从句的命题几乎全部集中在structure (1-15题）中。主语从句的特点是读起来有种头重脚轻的感觉，而且有两个谓语动词。连词That 引导的主语从句应特别留意。因为That 在句中没有任何意义，它只具有引导出主语从句的功能，因而很容易被忽略。
(1) ------- xenon could not from chemical compounds was once believed by scientists.
(B) It was
[答案] C That引导的主语从句。其中第一个谓语动词could from 是从句的谓语，第二个系动was是主句的谓语。
(2) ------- to space travelers is high acceleration of deceleration forces.
(A) Danger can be
(B) They can be dangerous
(C) What can be dangerous
(D) While danger
[答案] C what引导的主语从句。What既是从句的连词，又是从句的主语。
(3) ------- has been a topic of continual geological research.
(A) Did the continents originate
(B) How did the continents originate
(C) Have the continents originated
(D) How the continents originated
[答案] D How 引导的主语从句。
(4) ------- progress helps to relieve scarcities is a fact accepted by economists.
(B) That technological
(D)There is technological
[答案] B. That 引导的主语从句，当连续读到两个谓语动词(e.g. Helps…is)，而空格在句首，应首先考虑主语从句。这是主语从句典型的句子结构。